The Uninvited - Elaine Ewart Responds to Suzanne Woolcott’s Exhibition
I know you never liked me
But I’ve come to your party anyway.
Don’t look so shocked:I found it on Facebook.
(You should learn how to use your privacy settings.)
Dumb-dumb. Don’t call for your mummy.
She’s out, remember?
Just let me in.
Don’t you like my dress? I thought
Purple went well with my pallor.
And my boa – yes, you did
See it move. That’s the joke, you see:
The scarf’s a real snake. Snake? Boa? Geddit?
Oh, never mind.
And this? Don’t worry about
The skull and crossbones on my
Black balloon. It’s not a threat:
Just a sign I have to carry, to show
I’m an outlaw to the living,
That the rules don’t apply to me,
That I have nothing to lose:
In pass the parcel bomb;
Electrical chairs; hide and
Stay lost. Could be fun, yeah?
Aren’t you going to admire my hair?
So silky, inky now, down to my bum.
It’s come up lovely from how you saw it last,
From above, twisting and rising like weed
As I sank.
I know it was an accident.
I saw what you wrote
On my memorial wall.
I thought, if you’re sorry,
You wouldn’t mind if I came tonight.Don’t be scared.
Elaine Ewart, Fenland Poet Laureate.
Leave a Reply
This entry was posted in:
- Crossing the Rubicon - Fenland Poet Laureate, Elaine Ewart, responds to our Summer Exhibition
- In the Beginning - Fenland Poet Laureate, Elaine Ewart, Responds to Wisbech Rose Fair
- Fenland Poet Laureate Awards - A Review by Elaine Ewart
- Suzanne Woolcott - A ‘Gorjuss’ Glimpse of the Exhibition!
- Pimms and Poetry with our Fenland Poet Laureate Elaine Ewart
- Once Upon A Time - Suzanne Woolcott: 26 June - 21 July 2012
- 5th Annual Summer Exhibition - 7 Aug - 18 Sept 2010
- Young Artists Enter Acupuncture Design Competition
- Out Of Our Heads - Phoenix Writers Group
- Summer Exhibition ‘Best in Show’ Winner Announced!